When should you apply for a marriage or civil union license?

A local Registrar will not issue a marriage or civil union license sooner than 72 hours after the application for a license has been made, unless ordered to do so via a Superior Court order. If the ceremony is scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday. If the application is made on a Wednesday or Thursday, the 72 hours will end on Saturday or Sunday, but the Registrar will probably not be available on those days or any public holiday. If both parties are unavailable to complete the application at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period. The other applicant must return with the same witness (who must be at least 18 years old) to complete his/her part of the application.

Turn in Application

The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued. The application is valid for six months from the date filed.

Once the License Is Issued

Once the license is issued, it is good for 30 days from the date of issuance.  A couple wishing to have both religious and civil ceremonies may be issued a license for both ceremonies on the basis of a single application. However, a couple wishing to have two religious ceremonies, and wanting to have a public record of each, may not have two licenses issued at the same time. They must apply for and use the first license. They must then return to the Registrar with the signed original certificate and a witness to apply for a remarriage or reaffirmation of civil union license.

Contact Us

For more information call the Office of Vital Statistics at 908-820-4082.

Show All Answers

1. Where should you apply for a marriage or civil union license?
2. Who can perform a marriage or civil union ceremony?
3. When should you apply for a marriage or civil union license?
4. What should you bring with you when you apply?
5. Where should the marriage or civil union record be filed?